Páginas

29.1.13

PERDIDAMENTE ENAMORADO: THE BEAR AND THE SEA

Something new, fresh, and innovative that has been rolling on my mind lately, that's what I think everytime i'm going to post here. For this one I decided to interview this Pacific Northwest boy that knows what he's doing.....and where he's going. 
here is this brilliant quick interview to "THE BEAR AND THE SEA" that explained a lot of things to me...






Damon Sheeley, otherwise known as The Bear and The Sea, may be a nature boy, born of the Pacific Northwest – bred on the hazy gray waters of both the sea and the air and inspired thusly – but he was also raised on jazz, 80s synth-pop, Mama’s classical music, MTV, and poverty. This, my friends, is a standard formula for what you’ll hear in his music – bombination, woozy soul, pure Oregonian modular muddiness, and rock-steady gumption.There’s something inherently lonesome about the creation of electronic music. Lonesome. What an overcast, heartsick word. A word laced with dejection and prolapsed personalities, shoegazing eyes and sweaty, trembling hands shoved in pockets. A rainy day word for the wistful and solitary.But for Sheeley, it so clearly isn’t about the state of being alone, but more the state of things: the sea, the trees, wires, sand, leaves, grass, dirt, circuits, the wind and the birds. If he could play live for you, deep in the woods or at the end of a long pier, he would. This isn’t sad or asocial; it’s strictly visceral.So we suggest meeting him there in spirit, near the sea, with dewy lungs and wild expectations. Close your eyes, let your hair dampen, and listen.

YOUR MUSIC IN A FEW WORDS:
My music tends to be an outlet for the rampant stress and commotion of daily life, so I would safely say that most of what I do is rather bucolic and has a distinct ebb & flow that draws from a need to relax and sort of breathe a bit in between everything. Not to sound too pretentious about it but that’s the simple answer.


FAVORITE SONG IN THE WORLD:
I don't think I have a specific song that really hits that mark. For me, most music defines a particular time in my life and when I listen to it after the fact, it's like drawing on those memories again and retaining some level of nostalgia. It’s a bit like looking at old pictures. Here's a few of my favorites:
Cannonball Adderley - Autumn Leaves
Ulrich Schnauss - Molfsee
A Tribe Called Quest - Award Tour
Underworld - Dark & Long
Sage Francis - Escape Artist
Boards of Canada - Turquoise Hexagon Sun
Heathered Pearls - Beach Shelter


PERSONAL TASTES IN MUSIC & FASHION:
Musically, I tend to have a fairly broad range of interests. Though I tend to prefer something that has some emotional engagement or release behind it. Fashion-wise; I lean more towards the classics. Simple, elegant, minimal, timeless.


INSPIRED BY:
Love, nature, color. Being out in the middle of nowhere sort of helps me channel my feelings into something tangible that I can put into a song. Being able to field record and use sounds from that adventure just circles back to that idea of nostalgia and certain tracks evoking memories and feelings.


THINKING ABOUT NOW:
Thinking about the fact that my debut release is coming out in just a few days and that without the support from the blogs and the listeners that push my stuff out there....I wouldn’t be able to do this. I love making music and I love the fact that there are people out there that dig what I’m doing.

 

(MUSIC: https://soundcloud.com/the-bear-and-the-sea)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario